Thursday, October 30, 2008

Comedy Central, Just Stop.

Despite my critical approach, I am very much a consumer of popular culture. I watch television, listen to the radio, and I am constantly on the Internet. Though I try to limit my intake of "stupid" media, I usually check out new shows to see what they are all about.



Comedy Central has a new show called Chocolate News, and I must say it's not funny. It seems to me that the station is trying to make Chocolate News the new Chappelle's Show, but there will never be another Chappelle's Show, so stop pushing it. Chappelle's Show was funny because of the satire and sarcasm. Even though some people would not agree with his use of "the N-word" (I hate that phrase by the way), the show was funny because it brought out the absurdity of stereotypes and allowed us to all kind of make fun of ourselves and realize how ridiculous we can be sometimes.

If used correctly, negative images can be subversive and criticize society. At the same time, negative images can also serve as representation rather than criticism. When I watched Chocolate News, I did not get a sense of stereotypes being dismissed as truth. Instead, I felt like the show was trying to pass these images as authentic elements of black culture, and black culture specifically.


I know I've only seen one episode of Chocolate News, but I doubt that I will be tuning in anymore. To some people, Chocolate News and Chappelle's Show are equivalent, and if you want to accept this Chappelle rip-off, feel free. If you think that "Chocolate News" presents an equally sarcastic and or satirical approach to culture (not just black culture), that's fine too. I, however, am not convinced. You can't kill my cat and buy me another one and think I'm not going to notice.

No comments: