Sunday, November 9, 2008

“I See Your True Colors Shinin’ Through….”

In the words of Nas: “If this offends you, then it’s supposed to.”

Five days ago, the United States elected its first Black President, and I am very proud. Unfortunately, I feel that this election has brought out the worst in some people. I’m hoping that these bigots represent an exception, after all, Obama did win by a large margin. However, based on my experiences (both first and second hand) during this past week, I’m not inclined to believe that things have changed.

On Wednesday, I was so excited especially after talking to my grandparents. I remember my grandfather telling me a story of how he had to take literacy tests when he first started voting. To hear the excitement in his voice after the election made me feel so great. I wanted to share his story with the world, but there was no outlet for me to do so. That same night, I went to class (in which I am one of two Black people), and everyone was so hesitant to talk about the election. My professor (an Obama supporter) tried to bring it up, but most of the people had nothing to say. I felt silenced by everyone else’s animosity, and I felt like that the whole week.

I am tired of being quiet. I refuse to be silenced by the hatred and ignorance of bigots. This country was built on the backs and by the hands of my BLACK ancestors, and they did not give me the freedom to speak so that you could take it away with your racist sentiments. I don’t care what you think about me voting for Barack Obama. I want you to see the smile on my face. You bigots deserve to be angry and disappointed. We’ve experienced lifetimes (yes multiple) of anger and disappointment.

So to “my friends” who are salty about the election, thank you for showing me your true colors.

No comments: