Saturday, January 16, 2010

The Master's House

The first time I ever read anything by Audre Lorde was during the summer of 2005 when I participated in a research program. In almost five years, I have never forgotten one particular line in one of her essays, "The master's tools will never dismantle the master's house."

Around this time last year I remember watching Obama's inauguration and the overwhelming sense of pride I felt watching all of those people stand outside in the freezing cold just to see Obama take his place in this country's history. I also remember saying that we had to be careful not to look at Obama as a political magician who would somehow wave a magic wand and fix everything that is wrong with this country. In the last two weeks I have read various commentaries about how many black people have expressed disappointment in the fact that Obama has not addressed race issues since he has been in office. Many of these critics believe that Obama is in a unique position to help black Americans since he is the President and he is black. Disillusioned voters feel that their high hopes have not been fulfilled.

I have to admit, I loved watching Obama during the elections. I found his speeches inspiring, and I even bought into the "Yes We Can" rhetoric. At the same time, I knew that Audre Lorde's statement would hold true - black president or not. "The master's tools will never dismantle the master's house." In other words, it seems that the black people who had such high hopes that Obama would address race issues want to see radical change in how this country treats its black population. But we must remember that Obama CHOSE to run for president of this country, which means that for the most part, he is happy with the government structure the way it is. While he may want to make a few policy changes here and there, his goal in running for president was to live in "the master's house" - to be in charge of our so-called democratic nation. Unless Obama plans to pull a Fidel Castro I think it's safe to say that he does not intend to make any real changes to the government structure.

Beneath Obama's "Yes WE Can" lies the more subtle "No I can't." As president, Obama CAN'T revolutionize the treatment of black America. "Democracy" means that the majority rules, and the majority doesn't give a (insert four letter word of choice) about black America. As the leader of this democratic system, Obama cannot ignore the majority and therefore cannot address black issues on a national level even if he wants to on a personal level.

I do not intend this blog as a dis to Obama. I'm just pointing out that revolution does not occur within an already corrupted system.

No comments: